- Mix dry ingredients together, until thoroughly combined.
- Add water and stir until all ingredients are incorporated into a loose dough.
- Loosely cover and let rise for 2 hours.
- Place dough in fridge for a minimum of 2-3 hours, but preferably overnight. Can stay in the fridge up to 10 days.
NOTE: The dough is easier to handle when cold (use warm at your own risk). The longer it sits in the fridge, the more complex its flavor will be.
- Brush a cast iron skillet (or pie pan) with olive oil. Chicken fat or bacon grease both work well too!
- Warm the cream cheese to aid in spreading. Approx. 30 sec in a microwave should work.
- Remove dough from the fridge and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll dough into a 12” x 15” (approx.) rectangle.
- Evenly cover the dough with the cream cheese.
- Spread the tapenade into a thin layer over the cream cheese.
- Roll the dough together (long ways), jelly roll style.
- Cut the dough into 9 pieces (approx. 1.5” thick).
- Arrange the pieces, cut side up, in the cast iron skillet.
- Set in a warm place to rise for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until top of swirl is a nice golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Remove swirls from pan and place on a rack to finish cooling.
Serve and enjoy!
** This dough recipe is loosely based on the the Master Recipe from New Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
These swirls have everything all together. Great for parties, brunches, or anywhere that you need a flavorful appetizer, but don't want to mess with utensils.
1 ½ c Flour, all purpose
½ c + 2 T Flour, whole wheat (can substitute all-purpose flour)
½ T Yeast
½ T Salt
½ T Chia seeds **optional**
1 c Water, slightly warm
8 oz. Cream Cheese
¼ c Spread-mmms Beldi Olive Tapenade
Tapenade Cream Cheese Swirls
Arrestingly Delicious Olive Tapenade